Posted on May 27, 2010 | Comments 1
A diaper rash can be painful for both the parent as well as the baby, since the sight anguishes the parent who wonders what can be done to ease things for the baby.
There are several things that can be done to prevent diaper rash:
- Keep the diaper area clean and as dry as possible. Change diapers frequently and when soiled change immediately. Also make sure that the diaper area is fully dry before putting on a fresh diaper.
- If possible, keep baby without a diaper for several hours a day or put on a loose breathable cloth diaper on during the day or when possible.
- Don’t use baby wipes that have fragrance or alcohol, they may irritate baby’s sensitive skin
- Use a barrier cream when putting on a diaper; this will protect the skin from moisture. Ideally put on a barrier cream that contains zinc oxide each time that you put on a fresh diaper. This is usually a thick white cream that forms a layer over the skin and protects it.
- Make sure you use hypoallergenic products for baby, including soap, shampoo, talc, massage oil, moisturizer etc.
- When drying baby’s skin, pat dry, do not scrub it.
Posted in: Baby Care