Posted on Apr 05, 2011 | Comments 0
There are many things that a parent can do to make sure that they give their baby the best and healthiest start in life so that they grow into healthy children and then teens and adults as well.
Here is what you can do to make sure that your baby eats healthy:
1. Make meal times fun. If a baby develops happy and fun associations with meal times, he or she will show a greater willingness and interest in eating a meal.
Sitting down for a meal together as a family is a great idea, if it is possible to accomplish.
2. Reinforce their healthy food choices. If baby reaches for an apple, praise him and tell him a little story about the ways in which the apple is good for him.
It is never too early to start imparting nutritional information to a child.
3. Babies often show a preference for sweet foods that are easy to chew and swallow, which is true for a lot of junk foods and which is why babies tend to reach for these high calorie but nutritionally empty foods.
So try and keep these items away from them, and if possible out of the home.
4. When a baby rejects something healthy which has a new and unfamiliar taste or look, persevere by offering it to baby again later.
Don’t force the child to try it out; rather eat that food in front of baby, obviously enjoying it – this may intrigue the baby enough to try it out.
5. Start out by offering baby the widest variety of foods possible. Let baby get used to a variety of colors, smells, tastes, textures and so on.
This will help the baby treat new items with less suspicion and hostility.
6. Keep describing and offering explanations to baby about what he or she is eating – this helps to make them more mindful about what they eat.
Posted in: Feeding & Nutrition