Posted on Apr 21, 2014 | Comments 0
Newborn diarrhea is a common problem which every mom worries about. These days, new born diarrhea isn’t as unhygienic and serious as it used to be many decades ago and can be dealt with easily, just by knowing the right things to do. Newborn diarrhea and normal poops can be different and knowing the difference between the two is important to deal with the condition. The following are some of the symptoms of newborn diarrhea which will help you distinguish it from normal poop:
Symptoms of Newborn Diarrhea:
- Newborn diarrhea is caused due to over feeding of breastmilk and hence a new born baby suffering from diarrhea will have a runny poop and the poop may also be a little squirty.
- If your baby has fever along with a runny poop, then this too may be another sign of newborn diarrhea.
Causes of Newborn Diarrhea:
- One of the major causes of newborn diarrhea is food poisoning or any other form of infection which is caused by a virus.
- If a baby has an allergy from certain food items then consumption of those foods may also cause diarrhea.
- Introduction to solids is another common cause of diarrhea as the body of the newborn may take time adjusting to solid diet.
- If your baby has had too much of fruit juice, then this too may cause newborn diarrhea.
This is a form of diarrhea in babies in which the poop tends to be green in color. The green color is due to the presence of mucus in the poop which tends to happen in the case of overfed babies. Baby tends to get too much of lactose through the breastmilk and this causes the baby to have colic symptoms and leads to green frothy stools. To treat this, moms must try to allow their baby to empty the milk of one of the breasts first and this will ensure the fact that the baby gets fattier hindmilk.
Causes of Green Diarrhea
The following are some of the causes of green diarrhea:
- Apart from overfeeding the baby with breastmilk, another cause of green diarrhea is jaundice. If your baby is suffering from jaundice, he may have green colored poop.
- Babies are sometimes fed with certain formulas which are fortified with iron. Having these formulas can also lead to the development of dark green colored poop or green diarrhea.
- Green poop may also result when moms of the babies eat more of green foods such as salads, green vegetables etc.
How to Treat Newborn Diarrhea or Green Diarrhea:
The following are some of the ways to treat newborn or green diarrhea:
- Giving the baby plenty of water can help to cure this problem. This will help to avoid dehydration.
- Another way to treat this problem is by making necessary dietary changes.
- If none of the home method works then it is always advisable to consult the doctor.
Photo Credit By: breastfeeding-problems.com
Posted in: Health & Safety